AIA Nevada Fellows and SFx Event
The Business of Architecture: Staffing, Retention & Recruitment
Last month, AIA Nevada hosted the Fellows Forum (in conjunction with SFx) to discuss an important topic today - Staffing, Retention & Recruitment. The panel included long-time AIA members Mark Johnson of H+K Architects, Anne Johnson of Sparkflight Studios, and Angela Bigotti of Van Wert Bigotti Architects, as well as AIA Fellow Greg Erny of architects + LLC.
Key takeaways from the discussion included:
- The challenge of recruiting and growing young talent from novice to competent practitioner.
- How to engage and grow with emerging professionals in the office and still maintain an efficient practice.
- A representative from Truckee Meadows Community College joined in the discussion, and shared how they are the first community college in the nation to offer an associate degree in architecture.
- See more at https://catalog.tmcc.edu/degrees-certificates/construction-and-design-architecture-and-design-aas/
- Retention centered around culture:
- positive work environment
- being flexible with staff
- professional responsibility for all staff (trust)
- An approach to lack of new hires was to have smaller firms work together.
Thank you to the generous sponsors
BIM6x - https://www.bim6x.com/
American Insurance - https://www.american-ins.com/
Additional photos from the event below